ABOUT FILM FESTIVAL
American Independence Film Festival (AIFF) was inaugurated in Kyiv in November 2011, under the auspices of the United States Embassy in Ukraine. A tribute to the great movie-making tradition of the United States, AIFF showcases a dynamic mix of American feature and documentary films that tell America’s story by highlighting its diversity and values, and demonstrating the power of independent thought.
In keeping with its mission, AIFF is more than just a film festival, it s is a forum for exploring the potential of great films to change the world and the ability of filmmakers to address some of society’s most urgent issues through art and entertainment. AIFF strives to go beyond the movie screen by allowing viewers to become participants in the filmmaking process. An integral part of each AIFF is a parallel program of thematic panels and workshops designed to enrich the film festival experience for enthusiasts and offer unique opportunities for young filmmakers to interact with accomplished professionals.
The filmmaking laboratory for young artists
The laboratory was founded in 2013 with the support from the United States Embassy in Ukraine. During two yearly sessions participants from different regions of Ukraine work on editing of short documentary films. Despite this being the first experience in directing and editing for some participants, their work at the laboratory results in creation of 10 short documentaries each year. To bring their ideas to a completed documentary, the creators of the films are helped by tutor filmmakers from Ukraine and the United States. The participants of the laboratory have created over 30 documentaries that participated at over 50 international film festivals.
In order to provide more people with opportunity to see the best American documentary films, the festival initiative Film Bus travels Ukraine during summers. During the on-the-road festival the film screenings, workshops, lectures, and discussions take place in small towns of Ukraine.
The AIFF strives to introduce to the Ukrainian audience to American directed narrative and documentary feature films which were created with a truly independent spirit.
Independent films are projects written and directed by filmmakers in a grass-roots fashion. They also encompass films produced by the independent label divisions of major Hollywood studios.
Most films selected for the AIFF may not have the opportunity to be distributed or screened in Ukraine otherwise.
In bringing our film selection we hope to fulfill the following goals of AIFF:
- Introduce exciting, new and thought provoking work of independent American filmmakers to a Ukrainian audience.
- Complement film screenings with panel discussions on topics featured in the films, ranging from social issues to the creative aspects of filmmaking.
- Encourage the development of a vibrant and prosperous Ukrainian film industry by offering informational seminars and hands-on workshops to industry professionals and students.
- Provide support for Ukrainian film distributors and exhibitors in acquiring a wide variety of quality independent American films for the Ukrainian audiences.
- Promote cultural exchange between Ukraine and the United States and help to strengthen the bonds between Ukrainian and American people.